Monday 28 July 2008

Holiday Reading - week 1

School's out for summer... at least the kids are and most of the staff are. I'm not on holiday yet, though I had a couple of days off last week. I have started getting some reading done though.
Week 1 reads:
Half of a Yellow Sun (as mentioned below) - I wouldn't exactly say I enjoyed this as the subject matter is quite traumatic, but I'm glad I read it. I didn't know anything about the war in question before I started it so my horizons are feeling broader!
The Garden by Elsie V. Aidinoff - the story of Adam and Eve, with a difference. I imagine this will have created a huge amount of trouble in some Christian circles, and although I don't agree with some of it (the idea of God as a spoilt, self-centred creator who wants his own way) I loved it as a novel.
Waves by Sharon Dogar - I'd read good reviews of this but it didn't do it for me. A good enough concept, (Hal and his family return to their holiday home where his sister had a near fatal accident the previous year. She's still in a coma and Hal tries to find out what happened), but I found it rather repetitive and a bit dull. Disppointing after I'd looked forward to reading it.
Now to choose what to read this week...

No comments: